Monday, June 22, 2009

Why I Love Cashmere

I have developed a cashmere addiction! I've been buying cashmere sweaters in the end-of-season sales for several years now and have a nice little collection (22 the last time I counted). They're just so cozy and always look brand new, no matter how many washings they've had.
A few months ago I started knitting with cashmere and found that it's completely addictive. The cashmere I use is excellent quality, from well-known Scottish and Italian mills.

Surprisingly though, before it is washed it doesn't really look or feel much like cashmere at all - kind of limp and a bit blah. It usually smells very oily too. But....wash it well in hot water with a good detergent, final rinse with conditioner, put it in the tumble dryer for 10 minutes and abracadabra! Suddenly that nondescript yarn has bloomed into the buttery softest, most beautiful yarn you can ever imagine. This amazing transformation never fails to excite and astound me.


The thing I love about cashmere is that it is so soft and completely luxurious, but it is also a durable and practical investment. It keeps you warm yet allows your body to breathe without getting sweaty. It is warm in the winter and cool in the spring. Good quality cashmere also becomes softer and looks better the more you wear it. Once you've worn cashmere it's really hard to go back to anything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment