Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Stash is Bigger than Yours!

I challenge anyone to prove that they have a bigger yarn stash than mine!

My stash just keeps growing and taking over my basement, like that red martian weed on War of the Worlds. It's actually kind of scary.

We finished our basement about 5 years ago to a) have a nice space for friends and relatives to stay during visits, b) to have somewhere out-of-the-way for our kids to play, and 3) to have a place for me to work and not have to worry about messing up the family's living space with yarn, beads, polymer clay, and fabric. But there's now a new reason for my basement - to see if I can fill every inch of it with my ever-explanding stash.

The problem is that there are too many great yarn sales on the internet and I just can't resist a good sale. This past Saturday I found a great site with discontinued Rowan yarn at incredibly low prices - yarn that originally sold for $14 reduced to $1.99. How can anyone resist that? I was so excited and terrified that everyone else would discover it and buy up the whole inventory that I decided to buy enough to last me the next 30 years. My huge box arrived yesterday and I was so happy with my purchase (after I'd ripped the box open with a racing heart) that I had to immediately place another order. After all, I might actually live way past 72, and when I'm an old lady living on my paltry pension I'll still at least be able to knit with quality yarn - not that vile, squeaky mint green stuff.

But....I do worry about my growing stash. Could I be developing that hoarding OCD syndrome, or maybe just going slightly insane? Are there others out there with severe yarn stashing behaviors? If so, I'd love to hear from you and I'd also like to challenge you because I'm sure that my stash is much bigger than yours!