Monday, June 22, 2009

The Grass is Always Greener!

It is so frustrating at times having so many ideas and so little time to actually work on them and feed my addiction (knitting). Between work (24-28 hours p/week), domestic chores, exercising, keeping up with friends, doing stuff with the kids, shopping, getting fresh air, doing online store-related activities on the computer, etc, etc, there's so little time left to actually knit and do all the other fun fiber-related things I love to do. At times I get such a yearning to sit in my basement studio for hours surrounded by lots of yarn, but that very rarely happens. I do have around 2 hours most nights though, which I think is a lot more than other working mothers have.
What is even more frustrating is the knowledge that when I do eventually have all the time in the world to sit on the couch and knit I will probably be regretting all the yearning I'm doing now. I will wish that I had just spent every minute enjoying my kids, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying my friends, cooking big family meals, and all that good stuff.



Of course I will love having all the time in the world to create, but I have a feeling that this will be very bittersweet. I know I will miss having the contrast in my life which makes me appreciate my time for knitting so much now. When I've spent a whole day rushing to get things done there's nothing that makes me happier than when the clock strikes 9pm signalling 'knitting time'. I can imagine that when my kids have flown the nest those whole days spent knitting in my basement won't be nearly as much fun as I sometimes imagine they will be.



I guess the grass will always be greener on the other side



No comments:

Post a Comment